The most important piece of equipment a player will own is a batting helmet. Safety is our primary concern so knowing how to choose the correct helmet that provides maximum safety and roper fit is critical. On this page, I will demonstrate what to look for in a batting helmet and how to make sure that you are purchasing a helmet that fits properly and meets all necessary safety criteria. Finally, I will profile some of the best batting helmets for 11-12 year old players for you to choose from.
Every helmet I have listed below meets NOCSAE® safety standards. This can be determined by the NOCSAE® label on the helmet
How to determine the proper size helmet for your player to wear:
Make sure you know the exact measurement of your childs head. Simply measure all the way around your players’ head. With a soft tape measure, start at the forehead, just above the eyebrows. Measure all the way around the back of the head, and then back to the forehead. Make sure the tape is straight and sitting just above the ears. If you do not have a tape measure, use a string in the same manner and then measure the string.
The Batting helmet sizing guide is at the bottom of this page. You can also read more detailed information about proper baseball equipment sizing in my article Baseball gear for kids – Making the right choice.
Now that you know the exact measurement, select a helmet from the list below. You will notice that I have put the hat size in the heading for each helmet. After you select the helmet link, make sure you are ordering the correct size by verifying in the description that it fits your childs exact head measurement. Different manufacturers refer to each size differently. Some use T-ball, youth, junior, senior or adult as size categories, others do not have that many sizing groups or may use others. The key is to make sure the whatever the designation is, you make sure your childs proper hat size is listed in the product description.
For example: your childs head is 22 inches in diameter. Looking at the sizing chart below, you will see that they are a hat size 7. Regardless of what the manufacturer calls that size Junior, youth, one size fits most or even adult, you will select the helmet with size 7 listed in the helmet specifications description.
C-Flaps: (Jaw Guards, Helmet Extensions)
Gaining popularity in head/face protection is the C-Flap, or jaw guard. An increasing number of Major League Baseball players are wearing the guards, making them a must have for younger players. As a grandparent of a 13-year-old player, I have made sure that my grandson’s helmet is equipped with a C-flap. His safety is my primary concern so, purchasing a helmet with this safety element was a no-brainer for me. The C-flap gives batters extra protection of their jaw and mouth on the side of the helmet facing the pitcher.
However, Adding a C-flap to your players existing helmet likely will not be allowed by your your league. NOCSAE standards will not allow drilling or altering of a helmet as this voids the warranty and therefore would negate the NOCSAE safety certification. Before trying to add a C-flap to an existing helmet, check with your league administration to make certain it will be allowed.
For your player to be able to use a C-flap, a helmet will have to be purchased that has the C-flap installed by the manufacturer with the NOCSAE certification for the helmet with the C-flap attached.
Making your selection:
All the helmets I have listed for comparison below fit hat sizes from 6 3/8″ to 7 5/8″. sizes. If you need a smaller or larger size look at the description of the helmet to make sure your child’s size is included in the range. All of the helmets listed offer different size and color options.
I have compared all the major baseball equipment sellers to find the best prices for the eight batting helmets that I have featured below. These helmets are the most popular and highly rated. I check these prices regularly and continually update the page with the best value available.
Please feel free to email me directly if you have specific questions that are not answered here. You can reach me at Harley@baseballequipmentpro.com
Please visit my other baseball equipment pages for 11-12 year old players by clicking the following links:
- Bats for 11-12 year old players
- Gloves for 11-12 year old players
- Baseball Cleats for 11-12 year old players
- Bat Packs for 11-12 year old players
- Batting Gloves for 11-12 year old players
This post contains affiliate links. An affiliate link means that I may earn a referral fee if you purchase products through one of my links, without any additional cost to you.
I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Batting Helmet Recommendations:
Fits Hat Size: 6-3/8’’ – 7-1/8’’ (Other sizes and colors available)
Today’s pitchers throw harder, and shots off the bat are faster than ever. The Rawlings Mach EXT Batting Helmet is engineered to match the accelerated speed of the game. Its high-performance IMPAX padding absorbs and disperses force for the ultimate protection. The helmet features a sleek silhouette with a protective flap extension. The built-in extension flap protects the face and jawline of right- or left-handed batters and allows hitters to step confidently into the box in any situation.
Designed with a sleek, optimized shell, the Rawlings® MACH Batting Helmet has IMPAX high performance padding that absorbs and disperses force for ultimate protection. This Junior size helmet fits most sizes from 6-3/8’’ to 7-1/8’’ and has a built-in faceguard extension for added protection to the jawline for right or left-handed batters.
- Sleeker, low-profile design
- Optimized ventilation maximizes airflow
- High-performance padding absorbs and disperses impact
- Forms a barrier around the head for ultimate protection
- Junior RH – Fits right-handed batters (Head size: 6-3/8’’ – 7-1/8’’)
- Junior LH – Fits left-handed batters (Head size: 6-3/8’’ – 7-1/8’’)
- Meets NOCSAE® standards
Fits Hat Size: 6-1/2″– 7-1/8’’ (Other sizes and colors available)
The Easton Youth Pro X Matte Batting Helmet with Jaw Guard makes sure your young slugger can maintain their focus and concentration during at-bats. This youth batting helmet combines an impact-resistant ABS shell with three layers of impact-absorbing density foam for the ultimate in comfort and protection. The attached jaw guard, on the side of the helmet facing the pitcher, offers extra protection without hindering their vision.
- Matte finish with tonal metallic accents
- Thermoplastic ABS shell material for maximum protection
- Three layers of impact absorbing density foam
- Vents promote airflow and breathability
- Extended jaw guard offers extra protection
- BioDri™ liner absorbs sweat to keep you dry
- Available for left-handed and right-handed batters
- Meets NOCSAE® standard
- Size: Youth model fits hat sizes 6-1/2 to 7-1/8
Fits Hat Size: 6 3/8″ – 7 1/8″ (Junior) – Other colors and sizes available
Easton’s® popular Z5™ has gotten an upgrade. The high impact resistant ABS shell has been engineered for maximum protection, while the padded dual-density foam liner works to absorb shock on impact. The Z5™ 2.0 features a BioDri™ padded inner liner to keep players’ dry and cool, and the wrapped ear pads add extra comfort and prevent wear and tear throughout the season. The Z5™ 2.0 High Gloss Two-Tone has been updated with a fresh new-look, and meets the NOCSAE standard for all levels of play. It is available in Senior and Junior sizes.
- Layered foam liner delivers consistent shock protection without adding excess weight or discomfort
- Utilizes BioDri™ padded liner to absorb moisture and keep you dry
- Includes wrapped ear pads for reinforced durability and comfort
- Two-tone high-gloss colorways
- Fits hat sizes 6-1/2’’ – 7-1/8’’
- Meets NOCSAE® standards
Fits Hat Size 6 7/8″ – 7 1/4″ (Others colors and sizes available)
The new Marucci Duraspeed Batting helmet features a three-layer protection system made up of an impact grade ABS shell, and a high-density absorption foam.
- Three-layer protection system made up of an impact grade ABS shell, high-density absorption foam, and contour comfort foam
- Six sleek ventilation portals for increased air flow
- Laminated, moisture wicking liner and fully wrapped ear pads keep you cool, dry and comfortable
- Satin paint finish
- Meets NOCSAE standard and SEI Certified
Fits Hat Size: 6 3/4″ – 7 3/8″ (Other colors and sizes available)
Mizuno’s all-new helmet design, the B6 Batting Helmet is constructed with a durable ABS plastic shell and an EVA Foam inner core for superior protection and interior comfort. Drylite liner helps control moisture. Comes with pre-marked hole locations for mask placement. Available in an array of colors with a two-tone matte finish. Meets NOCSAE standards.
- Dual tone matte finish
- Durable ABS shell material
- EVA foam inner core for comfortable protection
- Vented to promote airflow and breathability
- DryLite® liner helps control sweat to keep you dry
- Meets NOCSAE® standard
- Size: S/M(6-3/4 to 7-3/8)
Fits Hat Size: 6 3/4″ and under
Revitalized protective features and consistent breathability place the Under Armour® Junior Converge Batting Helmet at the forefront of your game day essentials this season. This Americana-themed design also features a removable jaw guard, which provides additional coverage along your face without restricting your sight lines as the next pitch arrives.
Updated Protection, Consistent Comfort:
- Durable, impact-resistant ABS plastic shell features added ridges and corrugations for enhanced strength
- Removable jawline protector provides additional coverage against potential impact
- Charged Foam liner absorbs impact
- Large ventilation ports and HeatGear™ liner keeps players cool and dry
- Fabric-wrapped liner treated with antimicrobial to kill unwanted bacteria and odors
- Left-Handed Batter: Jaw guard comes installed on the right side of the helmet
- Right-Handed Batter: Jaw guard comes installed on the left side of the helmet
- Fits hat size: (6-3/4 and under)
- Brand : Under Armour
- Style : UABH2-110-JR, UABH2-110-JRLHB
Fits Hat Size: 6 1/2″ – 7 1/4″ (Other colors and sizes available)
Designed to provide elite protection for players’ of all sizes, the Mizuno® MPH601 Prospect Batting Helmet features a durable shell without sacrificing the comfort elite players’ demand.
- Durable ABS plastic shell
- EVA Foam inner core
- Drylite® liner helps control moisture
- Pre-drilled hole locations for mask
- Size: Youth (6-1/2’’ – 7-1/4’’)
- Meets NOCSAE® standards
- Two-tone matte finish
Fits Hat Size: 6 3/8″ – 7 1/8″ (Other colors and sizes available)
Eye catching finish and a cushioned fit, the Rawlings® Velo™ R16 Batting Helmet has been constructed with 16 individual vents that maximize airflow to keep athletes cool and dry when the action heats up.
- Heat Exchange vents offer a ventilated feel for optimized comfort
- 16-vent design features COOLFLO® XV1™ venting
- Wrapped jaw pads improve comfort and fit
- Two-tone matte, metallic paint finish
- Size: Youth / Junior (fits hat sizes: 6-3/8″ – 7-1/8″)
- Meets NOCSAE® standards
Batting Helmet Sizing Guide