On this page, we’ll examine how to choose the correct baseball bat for your 9-10 year old player. The goal when selecting a bat for your child is functionality and safety. A bat that is too heavy will be difficult for them to keep level when swinging. A bat that is too long will be hard to control and will affect bat speed. Now, with a few years of team play under their belt, It’s time to fine-tune the bat your player will be utilizing. With that in mind, I have listed 6 of the best baseball bats for 9-10 year old players for your consideration below.
Most players in the 9-10 year old age group will do well with a 28-29 inch bat with a -10 drop. Smaller players will want a shorter, lighter bat. A bigger player will want a longer heavier bat. The baseball bat sizing chart at the bottom of this page will help guide you in making the proper bat choice. Height and weight differences among players in this age range can vary significantly. Let’s talk about how to make sure you have the proper length and weight bat for your player.
Length: A simple test is to have your player hold their dominant arm out to their side. Measuring from the middle of their chest to the tip of their fingers will give you a good indication as to what length bat they should use.
Weight: a smaller, contact hitter will want a lighter bat (higher drop i.e. -10) so that they can swing the bat with speed, making good contact. A larger, stronger hitter will be able to handle a heavier bat (lower drop i.e. -8) for power A good test to see if your player can handle a heavier bat is to have them hold the bat straight out to their side, with their dominant arm (parallel with the ground). If they can hold it straight out for 45 seconds without the end of the bat dropping, then they can handle the weight of that bat.
Diameter: Any USA approved bat with a diameter of 2 5/8″ or below is acceptable. I have featured 2 5/8″ bats in my suggestions below
Remember that drop is the number of ounces that are subtracted from the length of the bat to determine the bat’s weight. Most players in the 9-10 year age group will want a bat that typically has a “drop 10” (-10) For example, if your child has a bat that’s 28˝ and a drop of -10, then subtract 10 from the length and you’ll find that the bat has a weight of 18 ounces. You will have the option to select a length and weight on each of the links listed below. Again, use the baseball bat sizing chart at the bottom of the page to guide you.
Depending on their skill level, most 9-10 year old players will play either in a minor league division-player pitch or a major league division team. The Little League division chart by age is at the bottom of this page. Check with your league if you have any questions about which league or division your child should play in.
Approved baseball bat criteria changed dramatically in 2018. Bats that were approved for 2017 play were no longer authorized for play in 2018. Per Little League International guidelines:
- “As of January 1, 2018, the new USA Baseball Bat Standard was implemented. USABat Standard bats must be used in the Little League Major Baseball Division and below.”
Approved bats receive a USA Baseball® stamp above the grip as shown here:
Your players enjoyment of the game will be greatly enhanced if they have safe, properly sized equipment. You can also read more detailed information about proper baseball equipment sizing in my article Baseball gear for kids – Making the right choice.
While I have focused mainly on 2019 models, I have listed a few 2018 bats as they provide excellent quality and great value. 2018 bats that meet USABat standards are acceptable for play in 2019. I have compared all the major baseball equipment sellers to find the best prices of the five bats I have listed below. These bats are the most popular and highly rated. I check these prices regularly and continually update the page with the best value available.
Please feel free to email me directly if you have specific questions that are not answered here. You can reach me at Harley@baseballequipmentpro.com
Please visit my other baseball equipment pages for 9-10 year old players by clicking the following links:
- Baseball gloves for 9-10 year old players
- Batting Helmets for 9-10 year old players
- Cleats for 9-10 year old players
- Bat Packs for 9-10 year old players
- Batting Gloves for 9-10 year old players
This post contains affiliate links. An affiliate link means that I may earn a referral fee if you purchase products through one of my links, without any additional cost to you.
I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Featured Size: 28in/18 oz (Other sizes available: 27in/17oz, 29in/19oz, 30in/20oz, 31in/21oz and 32in/22oz) Prices vary
Traditional feel with an alloy construction, the 2019 SPEED™ USA Youth Bat is built to produce more speed behind the ball on contact. This one-piece bat is built with an aircraft grade alloy and includes a FLEX™ grip for added comfort.
- Lightweight and durable ALX50™ Aircraft Grade Alloy construction
- Cushioned 2.2mm FLEX™ grip provides comfort in hands
- Concave end cap
- Drop: -10 youth bat
- Barrel: 2 5/8″
- Certified: USA Baseball
- Swing Weight: Balanced
- Material: Alloy
Featured Size: 27″/17oz (Other sizes available: 30in/20oz and 31in/21oz)
Rawlings 2019 5150 -10 USA Baseball Bat (2 5/8) Engineered with pOp 2.0 creating a larger sweet spot and improving feel 5150 Alloy: Rawlings most radically responsive, aerospace-grade alloy built for performance and durability Hyper-Lite Speed Cap .
- High-performance metal Baseball bat delivers exceptional pop and balance
- Engineered with p0p 2.0 technology for an expanded sweet spot
- Balanced design delivers a smooth feel and maximizes bat speed
- Constructed with Aircraft-grade 5150 alloy to enhance responsiveness
- Usa-stamped bat is approved for new 2018 standards in all USA Baseball leagues
- Drop: -10 youth bat
- Barrel: 2 5/8″
- Certified: USA Baseball
Featured Size: 28″/18oz (27″, 28″, 29″, 30″, 31″ and 32″ sizes available in drop -10 weight)
New in 2018, Louisville Slugger introduced the Omaha 518. The Louisville Slugger Omaha 518 USA Baseball Bat (-10) features a classic one-piece design with a 100% alloy construction.
Louisville Slugger’s Omaha 518 features 7-Series Alloy to provide the hitter with a stiffer and more durable piece of metal. The Omaha 518 also features a durable end cap design to maximize swing speed through the zone, while the 7/8 inch handle on the Omaha 518 is outfitted with a synthetic leather fade grip.
- Meets USA Baseball Youth standard
- 1-piece 7-series alloy construction that delivers a huge sweet spot
- Durable end cap design
- Durable synthetic leather fade grip
- 7/8 inch standard handle
Featured Size: 28″/18oz (Other sizes available: 29in/19oz and 30in/20oz, 31in/21oz and 32in/22oz) prices vary
The 2019 DeMarini Voodoo One (-10) 2 5/8″ Balanced USA Baseball bat is a great light-swinging option for the junior high aged player who prefers the feel of a one-piece aluminum bat. DeMarini’s X14 Alloy™ allows for more precise weight distribution and the 3Fusion™ End Cap and X-Lite knob optimizes the bat’s sweet spot for a sound and feel that players love.
- One-Piece X14 Alloy: A lightweight performance alloy designed for increased swing speed and maximum bat control
- Streamlined design for improved weight distribution and better feel on contact
- 3Fusion™ End Cap optimizes the sweet spot on each barrel by redirecting energy back into the barrel
Featured Size: 28″/18oz (28″, 29″ and 30″ size available in -10 drop weight)
Developed with an altered handle to give you a more stable grip and a faster swing, the Axe® Origin USA Bat delivers innovative technology with a number of new additions to perform at peak levels for recreational players. This USA League-approved model features a 1-piece alloy construction and a HyperWhip Composite Cap, promoting greater energy into the barrel to tear the cover off of balls without compromising control.
- Performance LP1™ Alloy Barrel delivers explosive pop and superior durability for the lifetime of your bat
- HyperWhip™ End Cap removes unnecessary weight from the tip of the bat for a faster swing, bigger barrel, and larger sweet spot
- One-piece construction, balanced for a combo of speed, contact and power
- Engineered Hitting Zone extends maximal performance and strength to the entire 270-degree contact area, so you’ll never need to rotate your barrel for durability – a benefit you only get by swinging an Axe™ Handle
- Shock-absorbing Endogrid™ technology built into the handle reduces bottom-hand vibrations for a smoother, more comfortable swing
- Patented Axe™ Handle enables your best swing, more often – maximizing bat speed and improving barrel control for harder, more consistent contact
Featured Size: 28″/18oz (28″, 29″, 30″, 31″ and 32″ size available in -10 drop weight)
The Voodoo One (-10) Balanced USA Baseball bat from DeMarini is a great light-swinging option for the junior high aged player who prefers the feel of a one-piece aluminum bat. DeMarini’s X14 Alloy™ allows for more precise weight distribution and the 3Fusion™ End Cap optimizes the bat’s sweet spot for a sound and feel that players love.
- 2 5/8″ Barrel
- Balanced swing weight
- -10 oz. drop
- X14 Alloy™ for more precise weight distribution
- 3Fusion™ End Cap optimizes sweet spot, sound and feel through the barrel
- Meets new USA Baseball standard